Sunday, May 13, 2012

Every day is Mother's Day

Every day is Mother's Day if you are a mother, but my thoughts today are about inevitably about motherhood.

The amazing experience of being a mother that has taken me far away from my previous self to a new place of more humility, better knowledge of myself, more honesty.

I thought I was some Melina before I had kids and I've learnt so much about myself, my abilities, my strength and limitations when my two boys came to my life.

I now know I'm not the cool, wise one I thought I was, but I've discovered I'm now stronger and a bit less selfish I was before!

The other day a friend was visiting and we went shopping. She insisted on carrying all the weight herself saying: "I'm stronger than you".  I smiled to myself and couldn't help thinking: Oh my girl, you should be in my shoes for one day to really know what strong means! Are you a mother? Then you know the strength it takes!

When I had my first baby I was in shock. The new demands, the lack of rest, the constant needs and cares this little new being required of me. I remember one morning in my kitchen thinking: Oh God! A new morning! How shall I able to make it through an entire new day??

And now 6 years after, that's normal. I'm in superpower mode by default and if I have the chance to rest for an hour it's hard!

I'm deeply thankful for the chance of being a Mother and learning so much everyday.

Happy Mother's Day!



1 comment:

  1. beautiful post Meli. Happy Mother's Day to you bella amiga! see you this week? x

    ReplyDelete